Sunday 29 April 2012

Act

An excerpt from "In the Strength of the Lord" that touched me today-

"In the Strength of the Lord"(Words of Mormon 1:14; Mosiah 9:17;
Mosiah 10:10; Alma 20:4)

DAVID A. BEDNAR






David A. Bednar was the president of BYU-Idaho when this devotional
address was given at Brigham Young University on 23 October 2001.


"Nephi is an example of one who knew and understood and relied upon the enabling power of the Savior. In 1 Nephi 7 we recall that the sons of Lehi had returned to Jerusalem to enlist Ishmael and his household in their cause. Laman and others in the party traveling with Nephi from Jerusalem back to the wilderness rebelled, and Nephi exhorted his brethren to have faith in the Lord. It was at this point in their trip that Nephi's brothers bound him with cords and planned his destruction. Now please note Nephi's prayer in verse 17: "O Lord, according to my faith which is in thee, wilt thou deliver me from the hands of my brethren; yea, even give me strength that I may burst these bands with which I am bound" (emphasis added).

Brothers and sisters, do you know what I likely would have prayed for if I had been tied up by my brothers? My prayer would have included a request for something bad to happen to my brothers and ended with the phrase "wilt thou deliver me from the hands of my brethren" or, in other words, "Please get me out of this mess, now!" It is especially interesting to me that Nephi did not pray, as I probably would have prayed, to have his circumstances changed. Rather, he prayed for the strength to change his circumstances. And may I suggest that he prayed in this manner precisely because he knew and understood and had experienced the enabling power of the Atonement of the Savior."

There have been so many prayers that I have given in tears asking for my circumstances to be changed. Turns out I've been asking for the wrong thing. I need to be asking for strength to change and grow. To act my way out of my situation instead of wishing for everything to be better. 

1 comment: