Tuesday 28 February 2012

Picture 27- What I ate… and my thoughts on food and complete honesty.

What I ate today.
Falafel, pasta salad, pita, and spicy hummus.
I love when the farmer's market comes to ASU.

But here is the dirty.
It's not really a confession nor is it a secret that
I have fought bulimia since I was 18 years old.
I'm 23 now, almost 5 years.
That is a really long time and a horrible battle that I hope no one I know ever has to face. Sad thing is 1 in 4 female college students have an eating disorder. Most women who have been sexually abused also have an eating disorder. But, a really good friend of mine, helped me realize that I had a real problem about a year and a half ago. He helped me find the strength in myself to stop.

I had been hiding unbelievable secrets, that were eating me alive inside. Now that everything is out in the open and I have been more than punished for transgressions that were and were not completely my fault. I don't have anything to hide anymore. But sometimes I still have that void that was inside, the void that can be filled by the comfort of food, which ultimately leads to a binge, which leads to guilt. A void that was filled by my obessive compulsive running, which lead to a broken foot.
Needless to say, unbalanced and unhealthy living.
I'm still not completely healthy.
I still sometimes obsess over food or when and how long I'm going to work out.
But I'm working on it, and I am continually getting better.

Here are some healthy ways that help. Not just diet but healthy living.

This probably was more information than anyone wanted to know about me, but I'm putting it out in the open anyways, because I don't have anything to hide and I'm not ashamed that I'm not perfect and that I have struggled with food and self-image. But, it's never too late to start to love yourself. <3

5 comments:

  1. You are so wise Rachel and I'm really, really proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely true that it's never too late to start to love yourself - and I love you too!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. miss rachel, you are a wonderful, amazing individual and such a inspiration. you inspire me constantly. love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing Rachel! This is a tough battle but the Lord can pull you through it. We can help you. You can help you. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete